Canadian Artist Fiona Dunnett Combines Images of Self and Death in Oaxaca, Muted With Comic Style

Comic strips, a adolescent Canadian's cocky portraits, and photographs of agitated deaths in a Mexican circadian newspaper, accomplish aberrant bedfellows. But they aggregate a above allotment of the active force for the aesthetic energies of Fiona Dunnett.

Ottawa-born Dunnett has been active in Oaxaca aback 2005. As in the case of so abounding artists who now abide in this city-limits in southern Mexico, her accession has been rather circuitous. And like so abounding others, her aesthetic aptitude has been afflicted at about every stop forth the way. At age 5 she larboard Canada for Bangladesh with her Canadian agent mother and the blow of her family. Afterwards three years it was aback to Ottawa, and again a added three years in Zimbabwe.

"When I larboard Zimbabwe I acquainted abutting to South Africa. I took a advance in rock carve while there, so yes, I accept active in Zimbabwe has had somewhat of an access on what I do today," she surmises. But it was her high akin bookish training, aboriginal at the Canterbury School of Arts, followed by British Columbia's University of Victoria from which she accelerating with an Hons. B.A. in Fine Arts, which credible her to the personages who accept impacted her adroitness the most.

"I've had a able absorption in the plan of Gustav Klimt [1862 - 1918]," Dunnett reveals. The Austrian symbolist painter was one of the a lot of arresting associates of the Vienna Art Nouveau movement, yet a arguable amount in his time, criticized for his works getting too animal and erotic. She continues: "But it's Lichtenstein whose art I've in fact fabricated added of a acquainted accomplishment to account and backpack forward, imprinting it with a bit of my own personality and activity experiences."

Roy Fox Lichtenstein [1923 - 1997] was a arresting American pop artist, whose plan was heavily afflicted by both accepted commercial and the banana book style. The closing acutely shines through in Dunnett's added contempo works, and in an beforehand section which graces a bank in her home in Oaxaca's Xochimilco adjacency which she shares with her admirer and three others: "That one's based on a dream I had, absolutely with credible banana book imagery; in the accurate dream there was a calenda (parade), with bodies getting abject through the streets. I already did a alternation based on my dreams. I absolute the red sky basic allotment of the accomplishments of this canvas with cochineal [the minute insect with by itself produces carminic acid, and was an important consign industry for Oaxaca during colonial times]."

Dunnett is abundant too modest. Aback affective to Oaxaca there's no agnosticism that she's put her own mark on the banana style, with her un-daunting admiration to learn, and innovate. The geographical, cultural and political ambiance in which she lives provides her with assorted opportunities for aesthetic inspiration. She abounding a branch to apprentice about the use of accustomed dyes such as flowers, plants and of advance cochineal, at the educational and analysis ability accepted as Centro de Difusión de la Grana Cochinilla Tlapanochestli. "For absolutely some time I'd been cerebration about application accustomed dyes in my work, but it wasn't until a brace of years ago that I accomplished that actuality in Oaxaca [actually a few kilometers out of the city, in Santa María Coyotepec] I had the befalling to apprentice about their use from an expert, Manuel Loera Fernández, the chemist at Tlapanochestli. There's just so abundant aesthetic dispatch in Oaxaca that it's harder to abide demography advantage of aggregate available."

Dunnett has aswell alternate in added acceptable hands-on seminars, at the acclaimed Graphic Arts Institute of Oaxaca (IAGO) and at a brace of added institutes in the city. Appear the added end of the spectrum, she credits two bounded graffiti arrangement art groups with accouterment her with added inspiration, which becomes credible afterwards an assay of her work.

"I began affective out of accuracy and into stylized, surreal works appear the end of my Canadian bookish training. It was about the aforementioned time that I began alive with alloyed media, my able alternative at this date of my development." Coming to Oaxaca was conceivably the agitator she appropriate in adjustment to activate added beginning work, aural the ambience of an acutely auspicious environment.

Aside from a aptitude appear the use of accustomed colors for backgrounds on her canvasses, one of the above anecdotic appearance of Dunnett's plan is her use of collage --- cut-outs from newspapers, magazines and banana books. Addition is application photographs of her own arch and face to accommodate the bang for her assuming of expressions and poses she seeks to abduction for anniversary subject. About every arch in every plan is based on a self-photographic portrait:

"I started accomplishing self-portraits if I began accomplishing photography several years ago. Again if I confused into painting, I had this bulk of self-photos, so I was able to draw from them for my art. Although I capital to shoot added people, I never acquainted at affluence accomplishing so. And admitting my admirer and I accept been calm for abutting to four years, I still don't feel adequate photographing even him. So it's all me, conceivably because of getting shy if it comes to cutting others. But that red one over there, textured with blah crust from tamales, it's an experiment, application a face that's not my own --- I anticipate it's best if I stick to my own face."

Each face evokes altered emotions, and images of self. "The faces accomplish eye contact; viewers' eyes move about anniversary plan and again acknowledgment to the eyes and face," she explains. It's actual that Dunnett's own adorable facial features, and her comport, already transferred to canvas, play a cogent role in administering the viewer. She has masterfully photographed her arch and high physique at every bend and with a deluge of facial expressions for use in her work.

But there's addition acumen we acknowledgment to the images of Dunnett's facial expressions: The anatomy and limbs of anniversary primary accountable portrayed is far too adverse --- anniversary is a digitalized adaptation of a photograph of a being who has died a agitated death, usually in a cartage blow or as a aftereffect of calm conflict, captured by Dunnett from both book and online versions of a Oaxacan daily, Noticias Voz e Imagen de Oaxaca. But in the artisan herself, there is a faculty of calm.

"I started application those photographs because they just began to jump out at me. You never see annihilation like it in Canada. In Oaxaca, it's on the artery corners and in the newsstands. Afterlife actuality seems to be an accustomed thing, and attitudes appear afterlife are so altered than from area you and I appear from, not so hidden away."

Dunnett stresses that her ambition is not to adjure animosity of horror, nor acknowledge the gruesome. The facial expressions she initially captures with a lens, again transposes assimilate canvas with brush, advance us away. In the case of her plan with a collaged iguana, it's concern in her face, rather than aroused adumbration of death, which draws one in.

The bond of afterlife adjoin the aesthetics of banana adumbration is striking, about as abundant as the complication of presentations of Dunnett's own self. It's that aggregate which maintains the viewer's awe of and transfixation aloft her work. Conceivably Fiona Dunnett never should breach out of her reticence about photographing the faces of others.